Pages

Feb 11, 2013

Breakfast: Upma and cold coffee

I've got to start posting these right away, or I'll never catch up. Another round-up on its way, but let's start with today's breakfast.

I'm really fond of upma -- and after I ordered it at Willingdon on Saturday, Ma asked bai (their cook) to make some here at home.

Upma -- a savory semolina dish, this one prepared with onions, peas, tomatoes and cilantro.
Since it's gotten a little warmer here -- 73 degrees Fahrenheit as I write, likely to get close to 90 today -- and I'd just finished my workout, I paired the upma with a cold coffee -- a favorite of Vivek's. His mom insisted on mixing it up for me, and it was perfection -- chilled with some ice, not too sweet, and just the right amount of coffee. (In fact, I kept sticking my nose in the glass to take in the coffee-house aroma.)

Cold coffee -- made with milk and instant coffee, blended in the mixer so it gets some froth.
Most breakfasts in India over my many visits have been cornflakes with fresh fruit, almonds and cold milk -- and I love that very much, as it's a nice normal meal each day, similar to what I'd have in San Francisco -- but this was a great treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment