Pages

Feb 13, 2013

A drink

I had not expected to drink in Chandigarh, as I know Bua and Vinita-didi typically don't drink. It was also traditionally frowned upon, in less recent times in India, for women to drink -- and especially, I learned today, in the presence of their elders. (As drinking is not the purpose of my trip to India, however, this was of course not an issue of concern for me.)

As a special dispensation, however, drinks were offered tonight -- and Pops and I are being treated to a bit of whiskey, care of the spoils from Ashish-dada's wedding reception. (Thank you, Ashish! When we finally meet I shall return the favor.)

The whiskey hits the spot, versus a cold beer, in this heavenIy cool weather. I thought perhaps we would have our portions after dinner, but Pops disagreed.

"It's seven!" he said. "I am ready." It's happy hour. Here's to health and more gatherings.

No comments:

Post a Comment